I got my third denial from AmEx. I had a feeling they were not going to approve me due strictly to the fact that I have these 5 open credit cards:
- AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass (Was Surpass, then Ascend)
- AmEx Hilton Honors Aspire
- AmEx Hilton Honors (Vanilla)
- AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant (Was SPG Luxury)
- AmEx Marriott Bonvoy (Was Vanilla SPG)
In the past the application would have gone into pending, and a phone call would have given me an option to close an account to get under 5 cards. Now I get this message:
We’re sorry, Derp. We can’t approve your application. You’ll receive a letter within the next 10 business days explaining the specific reason. Thanks for your interest in an American Express card.
And on the status page:
Anyone else out there with AmEx problems. I don’t want to poke the beast, so I am planning on upgrading my SPG to another Bonvoy Brillant, and my two Hilton to Aspire in a year!