Derp Report Goes Coal Powered

Happy 4th of July everyone! It’s been awhile since I have posted, so I decided to go way off subject here.

I decided to donate my Diesel Mercedes to my friend to be used on his hippie vegan commune in New Orleans. He will convert it to run on straight waste vegetable oil (WVO). More on that road trip to get the car down there in October in a future post.

Right now I am looking to take advantage of the massive arbitrage that is going on in the state of Illinois which decided to implement a 38 cents a gallon tax on gasoline. Worst hit are Diesel trucks and cars as Illinois’ state gas tax moved up 21.5 cent-per-gallon to 44.5 cents per gallon of Diesel. This however does not affect electric cars, which share the same roads as these tax paying suckers.

They have thought about hitting these Illinois tax evaders with a $1,000 a year registration fee! Fortunately, I will be able to get out of this state before that passes in a few years. Right now many bases (including Great Lakes) have level 2 charging for free! Unfortunately the only power generation in Waukegan comes from dirty smelly, radioactive coal. If you ignore this fact, and hope that those around you don’t look into it, then you could be full of smug, and feel you are saving the earth somehow. I’m just trying to save money here! At less than $1 a charge at home, and free charging at work, I can make my commuting costs less than $5 a week or $20 a month. Yearly cost should be $300 for the power consumption.

I am thinking of buying a 2012 Nissan Leaf at a modest price of $6,000. I also looked into Marriott hotels in the city that offer free charging of EV vehicles. In Illinois we have a few:

I called some of these places, and you will have to pay for the parking fee of course. Other hotels can be found here.

Have any of you readers gone the route of evading avoiding gasoline taxes, yet use the roads that these taxes pay for? I just want to know how other bases are equipped for EV charging.

7 thoughts on “Derp Report Goes Coal Powered

1. Steve says:

How many miles did that beast have? In the Seattle area they’re still fairly common.

146,000 miles!

• YoniPDX says:

Vet in Oregon here.

We bough a Fusion EnergiiTitaniumt PHEV last July thru Costco program paid about $500 over employee price and 74 months 0%.and after State/Fed incentive s of $5500. MSRP was almost $43k it was full loaded other than the fancier leather of Platinum. Net Cost after all was disc. Tax credits was just over $27k. Meet MSR on new Chase CIU buying and then cancelling an extended warranty (was credited to loan balance).

It’s wife car, in just under a year she’s driven 4,300 miles (commutes to light rail) we’ve filled it with gas 2X and still have half a tank, only drawback is trunk space sucks. Out battery range average is about 25 miles most of year.

Now considering a used BEV or another PHEV last year new BEV Fiat 500 in OR could be picked up for about $15k.

2. YoniPDX says:

One more thing –
    From my research on the 11′-13′ Leafs is that battery life and mileage is often degraded to less than half of new, 30-35 miles in middle weather – But Chicago winters could be far less.

Our PHEV we use the Level 1 charger that plugs in to a standard house outlet, it takes about 6-7 for a full charge but it’s more than sufficient for most of our in town driving. Electric bill went up a few dollars a month.

Thanks for the info! I am trying to keep my in a heated garage and charge it at home and work. Great Lakes has some charging stations by Building one on the Main Side. (no cost). Even at home I considered buying a 220v charger and installing a 220v line on the side of the house.

3. chuck says:

I’ve yet to see a charger on any military installation. Some have designated parking spots for EVs and UHEVs, but these are often occupied by F150s.

Hybrids and PHEVs are definitely the best of both worlds, when it comes to efficiency and range. I’ve heard a lot of good stories about people leveraging the massive depreciation of EVs to buy a 2-3 year old Leaf or Bolt for a fraction of the original invoice price. Lots of variables to consider, depending on where you think you’ll be stationed next.

4. Sheraz Cedeno says:

I’ve been a Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor owner for 10 months now. I didn’t buy it to save money, instead I purchased it because I’m an early technology adopter. My wife and I do save on gas (no gas tax hike coming to Texas), but the real benefit is the Tesla is so fun to drive, plus, we get the bonus of helping the planet: https://www.tesla.com/carbonimpact.

As far as charging, it depends where we are. Some cities (Austin) have so many places that offer inexpensive/free charging you think about it too much. Other cities (San Antonio, San Angelo, New Orleans, etc.) have some catching up to do! I don’t mind it when I’m home as I charge at the house. The long road trips we have done (500-1500 miles) have saved money as well, but we “pay” for it in time (about 20-45 minutes to charge each time).

Goodfellow AFB has an EV charger but they don’t let the 4-5 EV owners on base use it. Not sure what it is there for! The government is so far behind that this doesn’t surprise me. They tout innovation, but fear it when they don’t understand it. Look at all the big tech companies that offer free EV charging at work. There are quite a few EV chargers in Illinois (take a look at PlugShare). I wonder if Travis AFB has chargers that can be used by EV owners. If any base has them, I would think one within an hour and a half of Tesla Headquarters would have some, especially because of the number of Tesla owners that are on base.