Banking The $100 Dell Credit

I have 6 Business American Express Platinum Cards, all which get their hefty $595 annual fee waived by the generous people at AmEx due to our active duty status! Me and my wife (also active duty) each have gotten the following cards:

What is great about AmEx Business cards is an individual can get one as a sole proprietor by using your own SSN, and there is no wait on upgrading the card to the higher product. I went ahead and got the bonus and the gold and upgraded both to multiple Business Platinum cards. The main reason for doing this is the diversify your 35% points portfolio to three different airlines, all while getting $200 in airline credit, and then the $200 for Dell schwag every year.

$300 Samsung Frontier s3 split over 3 AmEx Business Platinum Cards on dell.com

From January to June of each year you can charge $100 on each Business Platinum Card at dell.com and you will instantly get a $100 credit. You get another $100 from July to December. You can also split charge over three cards max per order, and double dip with ebates:

You would charge $100 per card for a max of $300 for free per Dell order

After my shopping spree I was left with a $13 credit on one of my cards so I bought a $15 xbox live gift card on dell.com:

The smallest amount is $10 and the largest is $100, and sure enough my $15 card got reimbursed!

The gift code appeared in my Dell digital locker in 4 hours, just click the order number and hit the get text based key option:

and I added it to my Microsoft account under payment options:

On checkout I was able to apply the $15 towards buying physical merchandise:

Come July I am looking at buying $600 in xbox live gift cards, all stacking with ebates, spit over my 6 Business Platinum Cards. I will do this again in January for $1,200 in gift cards to buy this crazy thing:

Screen+Shot+2019-05-14+at+8.29.44+PM.png (2048×1296)

Hopefully it will increase my blogging output!

27 thoughts on “Banking The $100 Dell Credit

1. jkjk5 says:

Ive tried via chat 3 times now requesting to upgrade my biz gold to platinum and I am repeatedly told it needs to be 12 months. I know it doesnt because I just did it with my biz green but is it advised to tell the CSR over chat that 12 month rule does not apply to biz cards or just HUCA until someone doesnt ask?

2. ArmyGrunt07 says:

A database/post on E-Bates could be helpful. Between Dell and Sak’s there are pretty frequent 10-15% cash back offers that would result in a nice kick-back on what is essentially free after these AMEX credits and additional specials/discounts! I’m tracking significant cash back on E-Bates this past year on Black Friday (15%), Valentine’s Day (14%), and Presidents’ Day (15%) so hopefully those instances repeat annually.

Also, with gift cards there’s a great chance to double dip! While i have only seen up to a 4% return on in-store purchases when i’ve bought my $300 worth of Sak’s gift cards every six months ($12 cash back), when i applied $300 of Sak’s gift cards to make a $600 purchase i got the 15% E-Bates cash back for online purchases for the entirety of the total $600 purchase ($90 more cash back).

• wedstuntpuller says:

I can’t remember exactly what article it was, but TPG had one that had a vertical bar chart by day for the % cash back for Saks from Ebates for an entire year. I’ll try to dig it out of my history and post on here.

• Sand says:

Would it be a bad idea to just buy dell to get the 100 dollar credit and once the credit kicks in, return it and keep the cash?

3. wedstuntpuller says:

Derp, any intention to grab another amex biz green and attempt to upgrade to platinum? I remember a comment on one of the posts with someone who did this with two separate greens about 6 months apart. I intend to give it a shot later this year after obtaining the initial 3 biz platinums after signup bonuses.

4. Mike says:

Data Point: Biz Plat #1 approved 4/29. Biz Green approved 5/4. Biz Green 5k bonus posted 5/14. Biz Green product changed to Biz Plat 5/16. Product change attempt 1 failed, was told that I must wait one year. HUCA. Attempt 2 success!

• wedstuntpuller says:

Mike, were you still able to get the original Platinum welcome bonus even after you got the Green and upgraded?

5. Mike says:

The original one is still in play. There is no SUB for the product changed card.

• wedstuntpuller says:

I’m in the same boat just slightly behind your timeline, just don’t want to be the DP that spends $10k on the Platinum after upgrading a Biz Green only to not get the bonus.

6. Caleb says:

After I hit Dell in July I plan to PC one of my 3 Biz Plats down to a Biz Gold, use 2 referrals for 20k MR, then PC back to Biz Plat. Anyone else thought of this? If not I’ll report back in a couple months on my progress. If it works it would scale to allow 6 referrals at 20k MR (worth $250 x 6 via Scwab)

Why not just get a new Biz Gold card just to hit with new referrals?

• Caleb says:

Derp, not sure I’m following. I have 3 Biz Plats under my SSN, all opened in 2019. Are you saying I can just apply for another Biz Gold? That would be badass.

yeah I hit the gold biz twice now, i waited 5 years and was able to get the bonus again!

• Caleb says:

Data points: Approved for Biz Plat, Biz Gold, Biz Green 23Feb19 using SSN for sole prop. Upgraded to 3 Biz Plats. Approved for another Biz Gold 31May19 using same SSN, no middle initial, different business address, same phone number.

Purchased $100 Xbox Live GC from Dell on 26May19 and received a $100 statement credit 29May19. Purchase coded as “DELL US COMPUTER SALES – CO 17”

7. wedstuntpuller says:

Theoretically you can get infinite biz plats this way… I’m sure at some point a flag would be set off if you’re using the same SSN/EIN, but I haven’t heard of one yet.

8. Caleb says:

New idea I just stumbled upon. Buying expensive-ass new Samsung phones from Microsoft may be within reach. If the Xbox gift card idea proves successful as a method to bank the Dell credits, a $700-$1000 cellphone isn’t unreasonable, especially with (eventually) 6+ Biz Plats. Harrah! – I can finally replace my Galaxy S5 from 2014 and be the cool kid with the cool shit.

Anyone have any more data on whether this can work?

Check out their line up

9. Mike says:

So. Need data point. Would financing through dell and paying off that debt with a Biz platinum work? Basically, buy somehting in June. Pay using two biz plat cards and financing rest. When july hits pay again with the two biz plats in total to clear out debt. You are allowed to pay early with no penalty. Get all dell credit for the year from both cards on one item. What ya’ll think?

• Caleb says:

Dell does their financing via the Dell credit card. So it would be an additional hard pull, etc etc, and you have to make payments from a bank account of some sort if I understand correctly.

10. Rams mtz says:

Do they waive AF for spouses too?

Chase and Citi waive for spouses, AmEx somes times does not for residents of Florida due to there laws. I need to get some data points for that one. I know fo sure Illinois residents get the spousal fee waivers.

• Rams says:

I recently saw a list of states and all but 2 or 3 were good. I was just trying to find out if they also waive them for business cards cause chase doesn’t waive for spouses. Only personal cards

• wedstuntpuller says:

Rams do you have the link to where you saw the list? Been trying to find one and have been unable.

11. TheSubmariner says:

So you were able to buy an xbox gift card on dell.com, have it transferred to your Microsoft account, then get to use it for physical items? like a surface or a monitor? all reimbursed under the $100 biz plat credit?

Tell you what, I am writing an article right now since the credit reset to show if it still works. Stay tuned!