U.S. Bank Hates Churners

The current debate raging right now is if we need to hit U.S. Bank before even hitting Chase. I am currently 24/24 right now and have been denied for Altitude card #2 as well as the Skypass Select in the last two days:

I applied in persson to get my first and only U.S. Bank card 2.5 years ago. I have $33k in credit on my first Altitude card, but I don’t get the MLA waiver since I opened the card before October 2017. In the last year I opened 8 new cards:

I have to be careful since these two attempts have put two new inquiries on my credit report. Some people say that more than 6 inquiries in 6 months may result in denials for future Citicards.

Should we consider revising the strategy as such:

1. U.S. Bank Altitude
  2. CSR
  3. Chase United Club Card
  4. Freedom Unlimited (Upgrade to CSR in 1 yr)
  5. Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (Upgrade to Ritz in 1 yr)

Please report in on when you got your Altitude and how many cards you had before applying for it. We need to crack this U.S. Bank problem before making our optimized churning wallet! I have been working on this since January 2018.

Update: I got this letter today (04 May 2019):

It appears that the most recent lines with Citibank are the problem, and they were not even hard pulls. I also checked credit karma and saw that the two pulls were not combined:

17 thoughts on “U.S. Bank Hates Churners

1. Dave says:

P1: 11/3/18, 2/6, 5/12, 18/24 (likely subtract 1 for an AMEX that hadn’t hit my report yet)
    P2: 3/30/19, 2/6, 6/12, 14/24 (one being an AMEX business)

2. Deycallmejuice says:

Just wondering, I’m pretty sure you knew about US Bank being inquiry sensitive and/or must be at least 0/6 according to previous DP. Why took the chance to apply for their card knowing your 5/6? If you did it for DP, thank you!

3. uiucderp2011 says:

i tried to be the datapoint i want to be! my loss is your gain!

thoughts oh hitting us bank before chase?

• James says:

How much do you value the Altitude over a Chase product?
      1) CSR
      2) United Club
      3) Marriott Bonvoy (PC to Ritz after a year)

This is where it gets tricky for me.
      I would go
      4) US Bank ALT
      5) CF/CFU

But others might value a Hyatt or SW card more. I like the $325 on the ALT every year, other might be digging for a companion pass. But I would value the CSR/UCC/Ritz all higher than the ALT card.

• Deycallmejuice says:

That’s exactly what I’m doing with P2. Next month, P2 will be 0/6 and 2/24. First one on the list is AR followed by CSR. Once 4/24 I will just keep it business card since they don’t add on 5/24. As you already know there’s so many business card out there that has huge sign up bonus such as CIP and all amex business card. I can still hit all the other card such as Citi prestige and AA Executive while waiting for P2 to be 3/24. Like you mentioned before in your article it’s a marathon not a sprint. All of this was learn from your article. Thank you for being DP and your articles. Keep it coming!

• HB says:

IMO, I think hitting Citi and US Bank before Chase i wise.

4. Rob says:

Yeah I’m in the same boat as you. I tried apply for Altitude twice. Too many inquiries is what my letter stated.

5. James says:

Did you have any pre-approval messages from US Bank? I have a US Bank altitude pre-approval offer even though P2 and I already each have one. I need to suck it up and see what happens. Be the data point!

6. JJ says:

Any more data points for the altitute? I want to apply for one when july comes around. I will be 2 in 6 and 3/24. Also I have another card with them that I have started to use again. I tried their offers page but I have nothing.

7. MYAG says:

Doesn’t US Bank combine pulls? Are you sure you got hit twice for your most recent attempts?

8. CJ says:

How did you know you were denied based on that immediate notification? Can you assume with US Bank that anything not insta approval is rejection?

Also for a DP, P2 recently was approved for Skypass Visa, well beyond 0/6. Maybe like 10/6.

I got the disapproval letter right away in the mail. I should have at least called the reconsideration line, but I think they are not going to budge. I did an application in branch in January and got the same response. Please share your referral link if you can so we can all share the wealth!

9. John JBMDL says:

Please know you have to have/establish a relationship with US Bank for the Altitude Reserve. Applied and approved for Citi Prestige in March and applied for US Bank Skypass select yesterday and approved. So 1/6 dp I also got another AMEX in the last 6 months but they haven’t done a pull in forever

10. Jesus says:

Currently 7/6 and received my card in the mail today! Now its time to get the AF waived!