Two Years In The Works: 4/24 Strategy

The time has finally come where my wife will be under 5/24. As of today her credit karma report shows this:

The plan is to hit Chase, then U.S. Bank, then Citi. Keep in mind each bank has specific rules:

Chase will only allow 2 new personal cards ever 30 days. This is perfect because of how she will become 4/24 spread out over 5 months:

• July 2019: Apply for Chase United Club Credit Card
    • Unlimited Lounge Access
    • 12,500 MP Flight segments
  • August 2019: Apply For Chase Sapphire Reserve
    • $300 Travel Credit
    • 3x UR on dining and travel
  • September 2019: Apply for Freedom and Freedom Unlimited
    • Convert both to two more CSRs in 1 year
  • November 2019: Apply for Bonvoy Boundless
    • Need to cancel Bonvoy (Was Marriott Premier)
    • Upgrade to another Ritz Carlton Card in one year
    • 100k offer here
    • 3 Free Nights offer here
    • Note the application restrictions span over to AmEx cards as well:
The chart from Frequent Miler says it all

The US Bank is a no brainer at this point because of the MLA waiver as well as the $325 travel credit. After that we go into Citi Country. Keep in mind these rules: Max 1 personal card per 8 days. Max 2 personal cards per 65 days. Max 1 business card per 95 days. With this in mind we can hit all these products in order:

• January 2019: Citi Prestige and 8 days later Citi Premier
  • March 2019: Citi AAdvantage Executive and Platinum 8 days later
    • Full Admirals Club Membership for primary card holder
    • 10 AUs get Admirals club only membership
    • Shelf the Platinum after getting bonus
    • Wait 65 days for next batch
  • May 2019: AAdvantage Platinum x2
    • Use Snail Mail Codes to get the bonus again
    • Repeat every 65 days

Next step is to maximize slots in AmEx Credit Holdings. Keep in mind these restrictions: You can only get approved for one credit card every five days. You can only get approved for two credit cards every 90 days. Her current holdings are:

With this optimized plan we should have:

• Two Citi Prestige Cards
  • Three Hilton Aspire Cards
    • $750 in Southwest Gift Cards Per Year
    • $750 Hilton Resort Credits
    • 3 free weekend nights at any Hilton hotel, but these
  • Delta Reserve Card
    • One Free First Class Companion pass

I’m tempted to downgrade my Bonvoy Brilliant to a Bonvoy, just to apply for a second Bonvoy Brilliant to take the spot of the Delta Reserve. Then upgrade back to a second Brilliant.

Thoughts?

13 thoughts on “Two Years In The Works: 4/24 Strategy

1. Tim C says:

I have a few questions about Citi! Can you only get one bonus between the prestige and the premier? Or are you able to get both?

Also, when you get the snail mail with the offers for citi cards, mine usually say at the bottom that you cannot get the bonus if you have gotten one within 24 months (which i did with AAexecutive card in Aug 2017). Do the codes still work regardless if they say that on the mailer?

2. uiucderp2011 says:

i am banking on getting both bonuses, but I can see since it is the same family how they could deny the second bonus.

I have gotten multiple bonuses using the mailer codes on exactly the same product!

3. Realname says:

Are you going to hit any chase biz cards first?

4. Jacob says:

How many Sapphire Reserves can you have before upsetting Chase? My wife and I both have 2, but I could upgrade 2 more lines for 4 by myself. Any data points on how many Reserves people have done?

you got to be that datapoint! Let me know if you ever hit that max!

• Jacob says:

I will do it, I am just curious to know if hitting the max will mean getting a no from Chase or result in closing accounts. Hopefully not the latter since I am happy with what I have at this point. I will try for 4 for myself, and 3 for my wife. Will report back!

5. Jacob says:

I have successfully gotten 4 Reserves for myself, and 3 for wife! Only requirement has been for each credit line to have $10,000 credit limit. Now we will see if Chase realizes and freaks out at some point…

6. Rico Suave says:

I have a Data Point kind off. Don’t know if it helps. AD military.
    Currently, hold
    1 capital one quicksilver open in 2015
    1 military start card open in June 2017 (yes, you read correctly 🙁 I didn’t know about the Credit cards )
    1 Amex Plat. Open on January 26. 2019
    1 CSP open on Feb 26. 2019
    1 chase freedom Open on Feb 26, 2019.
    No loan ever, I never missed a payment, Credit history from I guess since 2005. Credit score of 720.

I applied for Chase on March 22, 2019, for United card ( I already hit my minimum on my others card). Got the message: they need more time to evaluate my application. I called Chase to recon they said, “too many credit cards in a short period of time”.
    I applied for the World of Hyatt.on April 2nd same message with ” they needed more time to evaluated my application and they will call me as soon as possible” . I called the reconsideration line But, The Guy told me too many credit cards with Chase in a period less than 60 days.
    * maybe the rule of 2/30 with chase didn’t work for me. I’m gonna wait more than 60 days probably 80 days and give you my other data point. Any tips or comments is greatly appreciated