Time To Hit Citi Hard

Many positive data points have emerged showing overall blanket waivers of annual fees for all new Citibank cards for military members and spouses for accounts opened this year.

I have been opening multiple AA Citi Platinum using codes in mailers. Tbis is the only way to get multiple 75k AA bonuses on this product. If you the reader get any codes in the mail, please don’t toss them and we can share some codes here on the website.

Now that it is open season on Citi, I need to compile a best strategy to hit all of their cards found here. Please post your referral links and thoughts below. Keep in mind, for Citi, Up to one personal credit card application in any eight-day period. Up to one business credit card application in any 90-day period. Up to two Citi credit card applications in any 60-day period, which could be two personal cards or one personal and one business card. I just got my second Citi AA Platinum on 12 Feb and and my first on 24 Jan. So by 29 march I should be golden by giving 65 days from my first application as suggested by reader Dan.

18 thoughts on “Time To Hit Citi Hard

1. el_georgie says:

I guess I’ll be going after citi cards after completing min spend on the current card. Thanks!

2. YoniPDX says:

Thanks for the head’s up. RE: “Up to one business credit card application in any 90-day period. ”

Just add a Citi AA MC Biz card Feb. 2nd I was getting ready to app the Citi Costco I didn’t realize that biz was that differ thought it was only the 8/65 not 90 but go to know.
    Not holding the Costco Biz card I left about $500 on the table last year by not holding it with an Executive Membership i.e. double the 2% and Citi bonus discounts on some electronics, an extra 15% on another Note 9 in December with T-mobile Military One Plan. Which has been extremely generous since T-mo launched last April. Note 9 with trade-in $750 (a BOGO S8+ from 2017) net cost would have been $56.65 with the Citi Costco card Biz or Personal instead of $199ish. (S8+ trade in net was $360 on 0% EIP after BOGO but also included two Samsung TV’s – which I recouped about $325 selling and trading on some new Milwaukie Fuel Cordless tool batteries).

3. Tim says:

Do you still have to wait 24 months in order to get the sign on bonus if you get the mailers?

4. Steve says:

After looking at your post I noticed the PenFed Amex. Seems like a free $100 every year. I just applied and was approved. Costs $5 to open savings account.

Also watch out with citi. If you get the Prestige you can’t get bonus for premier within 2 years AFIAK

5. Alex says:

Are there any hard DP’s of the Citi Presetige’s apps from NOW with SCRA or MLA waivers, rather than just previous grandfathered cards?

6. Jim says:

Question for the forum: If I apply now for a Premier, get MLA on it, and then product change to a Prestige later, does MLA carry forward to kill the Prestige AF?

7. Clay says:

Derp, you say spouses are getting fees waived through MLA, too. Can you post some data points while I’m waiting to get into that subreddit? Thanks!

8. Ryan says:

What is the spend for the 75k SUB that people are getting backdoor matched for the AAdvantage platinum card?

Looks like it is dead, I just tried yesterday and was shot down twice, as in I asked to get the bonus for my second card via chat and phone. I did get a bump form the 60k offer to a 75k offer just by asking when i got my first AA Plat this year.

9. […] 26 Feb 2019 to incorporate recent data points of Citibank waiving all new applications for Prestige, Premier, AAdvantage Executive due to MLA […]

10. troynewman says:

I literally just downgraded my Citi Prestige to a Double Cash before the annual fee hit. Can I still apply for another Prestige? Thank you in advance!

You might not be able to since you had the product in the last 24 months. Let us know what happens if you do!

11. Mark says:

the military MS subreddit you linkd is private. How many data points are there? Tried this last year with AA Exec and no joy…

12. Jesus says:

Submitted required docs to Citi last Friday MLA credit for $495 applied Monday for the Citi Prestige. Account was opened 2 weeks ago.

13. Tim C. says:

Just to let everyone know. I just applied for the citi prestige and got approved for the MLA benefits. However, they told me that they would not be waiving the annual fee because the interest on the card had not reached 36%. It was extremely confusing and very unfortunate to hear. Does anyone have any advice on how else to get it waived?

• Ryan says:

Try lowering your credit limit. They probably use some sort of formula to determine if your effective interest rate is less than 36% based on credit limit and annual fee. For example: APR + (495/CL) < 0.36

So if your APR is 20% (0.2), then you would want your CL to be $3000 or lower. Just a theory but I think it makes sense…