Update: Reader Ryan pointed out that I forgot that I had gotten the bonus on the SPG Lux card no less than 5 months ago. I have updated the post accordingly.
Confirmed datapoint here. I currently hold the SPG Lux (Bonus received Sept 2018), Ritz, Marriott Premier. I had never gotten the bonus on the Marriott Premier, but did get the two free Ritz Nights one year ago. I got this message when I tried to apply for the Business version of the Marriott Premier Plus:
You are not eligible for the new cardmember bonus because you currently have or had a Starwood Preferred Guest card, as described in the eligibility criteria. We have not performed a credit check yet. Would you like to continue your application to get this card without a new cardmember bonus?
I canceled the application right then and there because I don’t know if it would be worth the $99 annual fee if not for the 75k bonus. The $99 would be perfect for the 35k nights, but now that I have 4 of the 50K night certs, I may just go ahead and upgrade my existing Marriott Premier to the Plus of a bonus ever comes around.
According to Greg’s chart from Frequent Miler, I could not be elligible to get the bonus due to my SPG Lux card bonus. I should have taken time to read the eligibility clause as follows:
Eligibility for the new cardmember bonus: The bonus is not available to you if you:
- are a current cardmember of this business credit card;
- were a previous cardmember of this business credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this business credit card within the last 24 months;
- are a current cardmember, or were a previous cardmember within the last 30 days, of The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express;
- are a current or previous cardmember of either The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express or the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card, and received a new cardmember bonus or upgrade bonus in the last 24 months; or
- applied and were approved for The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express or the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card within the last 90 days.
Now it might be worth getting the SPG card without any bonus to get a second SPG Luxury card in one year. Thoughts?