1099 From AmEx Referrals!

DOC, Miles Talk, and reddit are all reporting 1099s being issued for AmEx cash based referrals as well as points earned for referrals.

I am getting multiple letters from AmEx today marked important tax information. These are all reporting to myself and the IRS on bonuses earned at 1 cent per point. So that 15,000 MR bonus for referring your friend means you just made $150 taxable income from AmEx. The letters look like this:

Initially I thought they were counting the $550 waiver was being reported, but it appears to be taxes on the bonus earned. This is how they are valuing each point referred:

• Amex Membership Rewards: 1 cent per point
  • Marriott (new): 1 cent per point
  • Hilton: 0.67 cents per point
  • Delta: 1 cent per point

Looks like were gonna have to do some withholding next year in anticipation of a bountiful referral year!

11 thoughts on “1099 From AmEx Referrals!

1. Stephen Curtis says:

That would suck…….

2. Nicholas says:

Reports on Doctor of Credit are that they’re for referral bonuses with each point pegged at a specific value.

3. C F Frost says:

Got a 1099 from AmEx for $200. Unclear what the valuation is on points but I had at least 2 referrals through friends and 3 self referrals.

4. Dan says:

Darn that sucks. Quick question for you, Derp. Have you heard of any more data points for civilian spouses in Florida having their AMEX annual fees waived/or not? I would not want to have my better half get an AMEX only to have the big annual fee hit.

Thanks for all of your great information!!

Unfortunately it looks like anyone from Florida does not get spousal coverage for the fee waivers form AmEx at least.

5. Jake says:

Thankfully it looks like Hilton is only .67 cpp now

6. Ryan says:

Just got mine today: 50k MR + 20K HH = $634. Ouch…

Derp, I’m curious how much you made. Willing to divulge?

7. […] that I received a stack of 1099-MISCs from AmEx, DerpReport has become a legitimate business with reportable income! Wooo!! Next step is office […]

8. RWHR says:

Dang. Received over 3k in 1099s from chase/amex today in mail. That was a lot more than i was expecting. This new refer yourself amex thing has really made it easier to rack this things up…