SPG Luxury Opens Aug 23, Apply Before the 26 Aug Rules Apply

SPG Lux referral link here

Here are the three dates that are important for the SPG & Marriott Merger:

This means you can get the 125k Marriott point bonus with $5k spend despite having the Ritz card, if you get the SPG Lux card between the days of 23 and 26 Aug 2018!

This is great news for me, and here is my new plan:

• Close my SPG Biz Card ASAP to open up a slot (I have Delta Plat & Reserve, Blue Cash Preferred, and HHonors)
  • Apply for SPG Lux on 23 Aug
  • Make the $5k spend in 90 days for 125k Marriott
  • Upgrade My Wife’s SPG personal since she would be ineleigible for the bonus (i’m keeping her under 5/24)
  • Enjoy $600 in hotel credits as well as 2 free nights at a 50k hotel (Ritz Chicago) every year over two cards.

If you are in a situation where you have the Ritz card or any of these rules:

Then you only got three days to get the SPG Lux between 23 and 26 Aug to get the bonus before these draconian anti-churn rules take place!

9 thoughts on “SPG Luxury Opens Aug 23, Apply Before the 26 Aug Rules Apply

1. Andrew says:

Have we confirmed that just because one applies before 26Aug that one is eligible for the bonus despite having say the Ritz Carlton card?

I called to cancel my SPG Biz and asked that very question. They had no comment regarding it so I am just going to go for it! No hard Data this will work yet!

2. Andrew says:

Man I was thinking it would be nice if the Ritz card offered 3 club level upgrades/year to any Marriott/spg brand hotels instead of only ritz..that would make the card so much more powerful with the downgrades in status

3. Alex says:

Planning to apply for lux card on 23rd. But got another question – no matter how hard I search cannot find a definite answer about application restrictions for amex. My situation is that I got approved for green card on jul 1s, and MS plat card on 8th jul – both of those charge cards. How are my chances of getting approved for spg lux cc ? Thanks

4. Scott says:

Anyone have some input on a good upgrade strategy for my current spg personal card? I’ve had it for a couple years, but will be taking out the Lux on day 1. I’d love to upgrade the personal to a second lux, but definitely don’t want to ruin the 125k bonus. Should I be waiting until the bonus hits before upgrading the card. The only reason to “hurry” is my cardmember anniversary is in october, so I was thinking there may be a chance I get the anniversary 50k night if I do it sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

I canceled my SPG biz and got myself down to 4 cards. I will open the SPG Lux on the 23rd. On my wife’s side I am going to get her to upgrade her SPG personal to an SPG Lux only because I want to not spoil her 5/24 but this will certainly make her intelligible for the SPG Lux 125k bonus, which she would have been ineligible for because of her Ritz card on the 26th anyways. Also consider I could not hit both bonuses with spend in that time.

5. […] Ritz Application Loophole worked! Despite having the Ritz card, I was able to get the SPG Lux bonus. Once I hit my $5,000 spend I […]