Here are the three dates that are important for the SPG & Marriott Merger:
- 18 August 2018 SPG Merges with Marriott with SPG points converted to Marriott at 3 Marriott for every 1 SPG
- 23 August 2018 SPG Luxury Applications Open
- 26 August 2018 Restrictions take place (wonderful charts here)
This means you can get the 125k Marriott point bonus with $5k spend despite having the Ritz card, if you get the SPG Lux card between the days of 23 and 26 Aug 2018!
This is great news for me, and here is my new plan:
- Close my SPG Biz Card ASAP to open up a slot (I have Delta Plat & Reserve, Blue Cash Preferred, and HHonors)
- Apply for SPG Lux on 23 Aug
- Make the $5k spend in 90 days for 125k Marriott
- Upgrade My Wife’s SPG personal since she would be ineleigible for the bonus (i’m keeping her under 5/24)
- Enjoy $600 in hotel credits as well as 2 free nights at a 50k hotel (Ritz Chicago) every year over two cards.
If you are in a situation where you have the Ritz card or any of these rules:
Then you only got three days to get the SPG Lux between 23 and 26 Aug to get the bonus before these draconian anti-churn rules take place!