CitiBank Denial of MLA Waiver For AAdvantage Executive

Looks like we are getting some pushback on the generosity of the interpretation of the MLA from Citibank. This change of mind became apparent just weeks after the datapoint of getting denied MLA annual fee waivers for the Alaska Airlines by Bank of America. Senior O-4 reader reporting in from his Miami trip noted that when the MLA was instituted in October 2017 he was able to get the AAdventage Executive card’s $450 annual fee waived for his wife. However when he got the card for himself a month ago he got a different response. They are no longer counting the $450 as an excessive and unreasonable fee and therefore not waving it under MLA protection. I am assuming because the Lounge Membership for the Admiral’s club is worth $500 if you got it directly. So these last datapoints are reminiscent of the Barclay $995 annual fee shutdown two years ago.

So you all have been warned that this fee waiver route has been shut down for Citi and Bank of America. On the Brightside, I just got the Iberia Avios card from Chase and instantly got a MLA protection letter from Chase even before the card got to my house. AmEx fee waivers seem to still be going strong! So please use the following links for known good fee waived Chase and fee waived cards here (for amex).

14 thoughts on “CitiBank Denial of MLA Waiver For AAdvantage Executive

1. […] CitiBank Denial of MLA Waiver For AAdvantage Executive […]

2. Dave says:

Do you think this is or will be applied to the Prestige? I’ve been waiting for a sign up bonus to come back but I might just grab it now if I can still get a waiver.

be the datapoint!

• Dave says:

If I attempt to be the DP, what are my bailout options if I get hit with the fee? I’d rather not outright cancel, can I downgrade? Or, can I test with a Premier and upgrade to a prestige? Not sure what the wait times are for upgrading and downgrading.

Dave,

Sorry for the late reply, my only datapoint is i was able to downgrade my platinum AAdvantage to a bronze after one year.

3. wewantrice says:

Disappointing,

Had my first statement close without the AF being charged. Does anyone know when this typically posts?

4. Trey says:

Same for the prestige 🙁

5. Marcos says:

Hello,

On the subject of MLA. If my wife were to upgrade her Sapphire preferred for Sapphire reserve, would she qualify for the MLA waiver? She’s had the Preferred for over a year, just curious if the date would change with the product change. Thank you.

Only NEW accounts opened after Sept 2017 qualify for the MLA protection. Product changes are not considered as new products.

6. RWHR says:

Another data point on confirming older accounts not qualifying for any SCRA/MLA benefits:

Signed up for Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard ($95) in Feb 2017. AF was waived the first year. I had been planning on cancelling the account after one year to avoid paying annual fee after first year. Once AF hit this year around March 3, 2018 I applied for SCRA benefits to be applied to the account. They just denied giving benefits since I was already on active duty when I applied. I think most people already knew this about citi but i figured it was worth trying to see if anything had changed. I cancelled account and they are going to reimburse the $95 fee i paid a few weeks ago via check in mail.