US Bank MLA Annual Fee Waiver For Altitude

Metal Card with MLA Waivers!

I was unable to get the MLA waiver for my US Bank Altitude card because I had gotten it in April of 2017, before the MLA was active. The process to get the card was long, but the card has proven to be pretty useful. The $325 travel credit worked much like the Chase one, and the 3x points on Apple pay make it my go to iPhone linked card.

Good news today from reader Blaze who shared his experence:

New datapoint:

1/12/2018:  Applied for the U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Card
1/18/2018:  Received the new card in the mail
1/21/2018:  Sent a secure message to U.S. Bank to see if my card qualifies for the benefits provided by the MLA.
1/24/2018:  Received a letter in the mail determining my account meets the requirements for MLA.  The letter states that “In accordance with the provisions of the MLA, we have reduced the APR for your obligations to a maximum of 6.00%.  We will also eliminate all fees while you are subject to the terms under the MLA.”

So it looks as if this card is a go.

There you have it! I might apply for another Altitude card after downgrading my current one to a fee free product. This way my new card can get the $400 annual fee waived and I would get a free $325 credit per year. I will not be able to get the 50k offer worth $750 right now if that is the case.

Good Luck!

21 thoughts on “US Bank MLA Annual Fee Waiver For Altitude

1. RWHR says:

do you have referral link for US Bank Altitude?

• RWHR says:

and does MLA work for spouses for US Bank if i wanted to have my wife apply? Thanks!

No referrals for the Altitude, and I have no spouse datapoint either. Please let me know if you get a MLA waiver with your spouse account.

• Austin Grimes says:

Following up on this – did your spouse apply? I’m getting ready to have my wife apply for the Altitude Reserve card, and want to make sure that we don’t get hit with the fee.

My spouse is Active Duty so I can’t speak for the situation regarding a civilian spouse and the extension of MLA benefits. I can ask Doug, he’s in that situation. Please report back what happens to your spouse.

• MJ says:

My non-mil spouse (I’m AD) applied for the USB FlexPerk’s Visa without tying the app to me in any way (i.e. I’m not an AU) and had MLA auto-applied (waived $49 AF… DP from Feb-18).

• Austin Grimes says:

Follow up data point: my wife applied for the card, was approved the following day, and received the card in the mail a few days later. Within a couple of days of receiving the card, we got notice of the MLA fee waiver being automatically applied. The letter was dated the same day as the card, but the card was sent Fedex and just arrived sooner.

2. Trey says:

Awesome! Looks like I have this will be my next card. Thank you!

3. RWHR says:

Just applied. Got message that they would send me notification in 7-10 days via email/mail. Hopefully accepted and can add to datapoint.

4. uiucderp2011 says:

They waived it for me when I applied in person at the branch. Now I applied for a second one today and was denied because I had a new account less than 6 months old!

5. Clay says:

I opened and funded a CD with US Bank one weekend, went in branch the next and applied for the Altitude. I didn’t get approved immediately, but I got a call withing two hours saying I was approved. After getting the card a few days later and setting up my online account I messaged the bank asking for MLA benefits. Within four days I got a letter saying that all fees are waived under the MLA. Thanks again for laying this all out!

Hey! Thanks for reading the article and giving us the data point. This may be the next most useful card. I use the 3x on Apple Pay all the time, and Samsung pay is awesome as well. I hadn’t used the redeem with text yet, but the feature looks promising. The $325 is good too, but be careful with their priority pass as it is limited unlike the CSR and plat one.

6. Mike Vazana says:

What is the easiest way to get this card for someone who has no US Bank locations near them? Can I open a savings/checking account and then apply online for the card? Any data points on this?

I believe you can do the checking online, I know you can get a different credit card online and then use this to establish a relationship.

7. w says:

If you already have a credit card with them, does this count as having a banking relationship? I am AD and would like to apply for this Altitude Reserve for the MLA benefits. Thanks.

8. Marcus says:

Does anyone know if the U.S. Bank Travel Rewards Visa can be product changed to the Altidue Reserve? It doesn’t fit my game plan for spend to for the Reserve but at the moment I am probably only showing 1/6 and could swing the spend needed for the Travel Rewards. Once I get back from this deployment, my spending will go up along with my CC applications which will likely make me unqualified to apply for the Altitude.

• Marcus says:

Or if it doesn’t, could I just apply for an Altitude 10 days later since my Travel Rewards card would count as my other account?

9. Michael Vazana says:

Couple questions about the $325 travel credit. Does it work with gift cards? Does it get credited automatically?