On 31 October I applied for Alaska Airlines BoA using a reader’s referral link (hit me up if interested) and was charged the $75 annual fee. I went to their military portal here and followed the directions:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Important: Type “Online Request” in the subject line of the email. You will receive a response within 1 business day with instructions on how to send secure communications.
I then sent in this military-benefit-request-form via secure upload and on 27 Nov 2017 I got my fee waived for being active duty military!
The Alaska Airline card is boss because it gives you a free companion pass ($99 fee waived) on any of Virgin America or Alaska Airlines domestic flights for the first year. This renews every year, but you must pay $99 for the flight! The current offer is 30k miles with a mere $1k spend which you can use to book Virgin America flights.
Other benefits of the card are:
- Alaska’s famous Companion Fare™ from $121 ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees from $22) every year on your account anniversary for Alaska and Virgin America flights booking on alaskaair.com with no blackout dates.
- Free checked bag on Alaska and Virgin America flights for you and up to six other passengers on the same reservation.
- Earn 3 miles for every $1 spent directly with Alaska Airlines and Virgin America purchases.
- Earn 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees, plus chip enabled for enhanced security when used at chip-enabled terminals.
- No mileage cap.
- Miles won’t expire on your active account.
- Low Annual fee of $0.00 because of MLA
So, please hit me up for a link if you want to apply, and be patient to get the MLA waiver for military. Remember this is only applied for new accounts after the MLA took effect 07 October 2017. Old accounts will still require the $75 annual fee unless you had it before you joined the military.
Any suggestions on what BoA card to get next? I will host suggestions and referral links below!