I bumped into a colleague from Okinawa recently and she had gotten the Premier Rewards Gold from AmEx but had no idea that there was another $100 towards flights using the old gift card trick. This is a okay card, asuming we redeem MR points for 1.25 cents per point we get:
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines (3.75% cash back, better with Platinum 6.25%)
- 2X points US supermarkets (2.5% cash back, better with Blue Cash Preferred 6%)
- 2X points at US gas stations (2.5% cash back, better with Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi 4%)
- 2X points at US restaurants (2.5% cash back, better with Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi 3%)
- 1X points on other purchases (1.25% cash back, better with USAA Limitless 2.5%)
As you can see it is just decent, but consider the fee waiver and the point bonus. For a mere $2,000 spend you can get 30K MR points worth $375 and then $100 a year on airline gift cards. That’s $475 for 2K spend in 90 days. If you decide to do it please use this link so I can get my bonus.