Sears Tower for free with Military ID (worth every penny on a foggy day)
Got my orders to Great Lakes Naval Base in Chicago. in preparation I have compiled all of the military waived fees:
- Get your FOID card, Illinois is weird that they require a Firearms Identification card for residents, even when buying ammunition in other states.
- Go ahead and get you Concealed Carry License which normally costs $300 out of state and $150 resident, not sure if its waived for active duty, but they do give 8 hours towards your 16 hours of training. Been looking at this training company that makes mention of the 8 hours credit.
- Get your free hunting and fishing license for the Department of natural resources.
- Lots of museums, shows, hotels have no admission fees for military and discounts at down town hotels, you can still put the hotels on branded credit cards to earn points. For example check a comedy show at second city for free!!
- Use the discount fare on Metra ($2 from Great Lakes to Down Town), free Pace buses (while in uniform), free cta buses (need military ventra pass) and El trains. All info here.
- Check out USO at ORD and MDW, good for a snack and nap, hopefully they put that Centurion lounge in ORD soon which you will get for free with your fee waived AmEx Platinum. They also always have extra tickets for shows, I was able to see a Neil Diamond show back in the day when I was a Military Spouse.
- Looks like the Lyric Opera of Chicago has discounted tickets by calling number is 312.827.5600
More to come!